If you surf through television channels or flip through the newspaper pages, risk regarding pregnancy is a common topic. Everyone wants to give birth to a healthy child and hence they worry about what to eat, what to avoid, how to change their lifestyle. You will be happy to know that most of the food items are not harmful if consumed in moderate amounts. If you still have concerns about health precautions during pregnancy in spite of the areas covered here, we recommend that you consult a healthcare professional.
- Caffeine: if you restrict yourself to a minimum of 1 to 2 cups of coffee, there is nothing to worry about. But if you increase the intake to 5 cups then there might be a risk. Research shows, higher intake of caffeine leads to miscarriage.
- Hair Care: during pregnancy, one should not perm (A series of waves in the hair made by applying heat and chemicals) their hair or color tresses as well. It is natural to lose some amount of hair during and after pregnancy.
- Herbal and Homeopathic Remedies: not all “natural” products are safe and hence you need to be doubly sure before you consume products marked “natural”. If required consult a medical practitioner.
- Prescribed and Over-the-Counter Medicine: When you are advised to take any medication during pregnancy don’t forget to inform your doctor about any kind of allergies you have to any medicine. In fact you should inform your doctor about any other problems you have.
- Paint: it is best if you are not in a room that is being painted. The smell might affect your breathing during pregnancy. And in case you have to be in a room that is being painted, make sure that all the doors and windows are open so that there is a healthy exchange of air.
- X-rays: before you undergo any kind of x-ray make sure that you inform the person conducting the test about your pregnancy.In case of dental x-rays, it is alright provided your belly is covered with an apron.
AVOID ALL OF THESE:
- Addictive Drugs: You need to avoid these drugs in the initial stages of pregnancy. Once you are aware of what to avoid while pregnant during the first trimester, you will be in a better position to avoid miscarriage. Narcotic pain medicines are a strict no-no during pregnancy.
- Alcohol: avoid alcohol at any cost. Mothers who consume beer, wine or hard liquor tend to suffer from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. As a result your child is sure to experience slow mental and physical growth besides other severe problems.
- Fifth Disease: this is a viral infection that can affect the mother in the initial stages of pregnancy. The symptoms include low fever, fatigue, a “slapped cheeks” rash, joint aches, and a whole body rash. In a very few scenarios, this infection may lead to miscarriage. But, it is better to follow precautions during pregnancy. Hence, we recommend that you visit a doctor as soon as you get fever.
- Careless Food Handling: make sure that you wash your hands every time you cut vegetables and before eating. Make sure that you keep raw and cooked foods apart, don’t mix them. And don’t forget to refrigerate the food at the correct temperature (at or below 40ºF).
- Smoking: if lung cancer, heart attack is not enough to convince you to quit smoking then pregnancy should be a good enough cause to quit it. Smoking leads to premature birth, low birth weight, miscarriage and other severe problems.
Make sure that you keep all these factors in mind if you wish to give birth to a healthy baby and avoid all kinds of risk associated with pregnancy.